About Us // Company's History
THREE GENERATIONS OF SHARON ARCHITECTS - HISTORICAL SUMMARY
Seventy-eight years ago, Architect Arieh Sharon, the father of modern Israeli architecture, established the firm in 1931. Today, Sharon Architects continues to design many important buildings and is the oldest architectural firm in Israel.
Arieh Sharon was born in 1900 in the town of Jaroslaw, Galicia (Poland today), and immigrated to Israel in 1920 with a group of young pioneers from the Shomer Hatzair youth movement.
He was one of the founders of Kibbutz Gan Shmuel. Strangely enough, his work in the kibbutz as a bee-keeper influenced his decision to study at the Bauhaus-Dessau College in 1928. His teachers at the Bauhaus College were among the pillars of the modern international movement in art and architecture: Walter Gropius, Hans Meir, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Oscar Schlemmer, Josef Albers, Marcel Breuer, Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, and many others.
Arieh Sharon introduced the "white construction" Bauhaus style to the new city of Tel-Aviv. This "international" Tel-Aviv style, typical of the meonot ovdim (residential housing estates for workers) features minimalist and functional linear elements that combine inner courtyards and communal areas serving a range of functions for the tenants (e.g. laundry room, kindergarten, grocery store) to create a sort of urban kibbutz.
In the 1940s, Arieh Sharon built many public buildings on kibbutzim all over the country and was the right-hand man of Israel's first prime minister, David Ben-Gurion. Appointed head of the government's Department of Planning, Arieh Sharon headed a team of 180 urban planners, and under his direction prepared Israel's first National Outline Plan, named the Sharon Plan. This plan was responsible for the construction of 20 new towns all over Israel to house and absorb the massive wave of immigration, with some 2000 immigrants a day arriving on Israel's shores.
Arieh Sharon set up a partnership with Binyamin Edelson. His son, Architect Eldar Sharon, joined the firm in 1965 until his death in 1994.
Arieh Sharon was awarded the Israel Prize for Architecture in 1962.
His humanistic philosophy is predicated on placing the person using the building spaces at the center of the design. This humanistic approach continues to be a hallmark of the firm's work.
Following is a partial list of the important public buildings designed by Arieh Sharon: Beilinson Hospital (1950/56), Ichilov Hospital (1954), the Technion Forum in Haifa (Senate Building, library and Churchill Hall), Soroka Hospital in Beer Sheva (1962 - Israel Prize), Wingate Institute (1960), the Israeli pavilion at the World Trade in Brussels (1960), Yad Vashem Memorial Museum in Jerusalem (1964), University of IFE, Nigeria (1961-1964).
Yad Mordechai Museum
Arieh Sharon’s son, Architect Eldar Sharon, joined the firm in 1965, after collaborating with Zvi Hecker and Prof. Neumann, on the design of important architectural landmarks in Israel: Club Med in Achziv, Bat-Yam City Hall and the Dubiner Building in Ramat-Gan.
Eldar brought to the partnership and to the firm the "anti-functional rebellion" in architecture. The simple buildings of the international style characterizing the architectural statement of Arieh Sharon became more intricate and geometrical, creating spaces that included geometrical experiments combined with morphological elements taken from the world of nature. These architectural experiments produced buildings, such as Kinarot Convalescent Home, Tiberias (1971), Rambam Government Hospital, Haifa (1972), Agricultural Center in Tel-Aviv (1968), Wolfson Hospital (1976), Yad Mordechai Memorial Museum (1968), Geha Mental Hospital (1970), the Israeli Pavillion at Expo 67 in Montreal (1967), School of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University (1972), master plan for the Old City of Jerusalem (1970), Research Center at Sde Boker College (1968), Bank of Israel (1974), America House, Tel-Aviv (1973), added buildings to the IFE University, Nigeria (1972-76), construction of the Sourasky-Tel-Aviv Medical Center (1972-82), Assaf Harofe Hospital (1975-85).
First national plan
Arie Sharon, the firm’s founder, is considered the father of Israeli architecture. To this day, he is a symbol and example for many students of architecture in Israel and around the world.
University of IFE Nigeria
Arie Sharon's architectural philosophy springs from the modernist heritage of his teachers at the Bauhaus, followed by the avant-garde, morphological approach of Eldar Sharon who died in 1994.
Arad Sharon, the third generation architect of the family, a graduate of the A.A. School of Architecture in London, applies narrative methods in the projects he designs, creating a morphological "stage" of dynamic, human stories taking place in the building spaces. The style represents a concept of architectural clarity that permeates every part of the project to create a homogenous coherent system.
This unique fusion of styles spanning three generations of architects results in a complex and challenging creative richness that makes the firm a leader in the field. Creative creative thought, freshness and an uncompromising and unpretentious attention to detail are reborn in each and every project.
Forum Building,Technion Haifa
Achziv Resort Village
Municipality Bat - Yam
List of books written by Arieh Sharon:
1. "Physical Planning in Israel, Tel-Aviv, 1955.
2. "Hospitals in Israel and in Developing Countries", Tel-Aviv, 1968.
3. "Planning Jerusalem: The Old City and Its Environs", Jerusalem, 1973.
4. Kibbutz + Bauhaus: An Architect's Way in a New Land", Tel-Aviv, 1976.
5. "IFE University Master Plan", 1981.